Sunday, February 12, 2012

MONTH ONE: FOOD

Tomorrow I begin one of the biggest, non-ordinary, spiritual commitments in my life.

Month one is all about food

I'm a foodie. If I had ONE channel to watch everyday for the rest of my life, well it would be the Food Network...this could prove to be a ridiculously hard, bland and monotonous month. I suppose that's exactly the point...hmmm

These are the following seven things that I commit to eating solely for the next month:

1. chicken
2. eggs
3. spinach
4. avocados
5. sweet potatoes
6. whole wheat bread
7. apples

I'm no nutritionist, but I think this is a pretty well rounded list. (I'm lactose intolerant-so no dairy) It has the potential for many easily prepared meals and the possibility to really expand my cooking with such a short list of ingredients.

The following rules apply to this month:
1. Should I have to eat out because of a work meeting or whatever else, I will do my best to stick to the above ingredients. This is about a commitment to Christ, not legalism, so I will be completely honest in my endeavors, even if they turn into failures.
2. So that I don't waste the already perishable food currently in my fridge, I will use it to supplement my meals. Once that's gone, no extra shopping. And no using anything that won't go bad before the months over.
3. I’ll shop for groceries no more than 7 times all month. This will help me in meal planning and cutting down on random trips to the grocery store for one thing or another.
4. I am giving myself room to have all the water, tea, and coffee I want. Not flavored water, not sweet tea, and nothing but black coffee. (I went without coffee today and I can't tell you how many words I've corrected as I'm typing...my brain just can't function and my head is pounding)
5. I will not purchase snacks or drinks outside of the house...which will help with my budget and make me plan ahead.

Ok so there you have it. Month 1: food. 7 ingredients. Even though it would flow nicely here, I'm not sure "infinite possibilities" is the correct statement, perhaps "creativity abound" would be a little more appropriate. 
 
As I was driving home from my aunt's house tonight, the Lord put this song on my heart:
 
Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art
Thou my best Thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word;
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, I Thy true son;
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.
 
Riches I heed not, nor man’s empty praise,
Thou mine Inheritance, now and always:
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of Heaven, my Treasure Thou art.

High King of Heaven, my victory won,
May I reach Heaven’s joys, O bright Heaven’s Sun!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all.







No comments:

Post a Comment